Sole Global Administrator locked out by Azure mandatory MFA (personal Microsoft account) – need Data Protection / tenant recovery

Donovan Schmit 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T22:02:15.1933333+00:00

I am the sole Global Administrator of my personal Entra tenant.

Tenant ID: f1b864de-081d-4996-a640-a322a8148fd1

The admin account is a personal Microsoft account (Hotmail) – I can share it privately.

Since the Azure mandatory MFA enforcement (I received the "Action required: Enable MFA for your tenant by 15 October 2024" email as Global Admin of this tenant), sign-in to portal.azure.com / entra.microsoft.com requires a 6-digit code or a push to a Microsoft Authenticator registration I no longer have. My current Authenticator only holds my personal account entry (8-digit codes). Push notifications for the tenant never arrive. The only options offered are "Approve a request on Microsoft Authenticator" and "Use a verification code" – no SMS/phone fallback.

My personal Microsoft account works normally for all other services; only the tenant MFA blocks me. There is no other administrator in the tenant, and I cannot open a support request from inside it.

Please escalate to the Azure Data Protection team to verify my ownership and reset the MFA methods registered for my admin account in this tenant. I can provide contact details privately.

Country: France – Time zone: Europe/Paris (CET/CEST)

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.