How to prevent Office 2019 MSI changing to C2R

Peter Dwells 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T17:11:08.99+00:00

I have a Dell laptop, W10, with Office 2019 ProPlus MSI.

Today it has, I think by itself, changed from MSI to C2R. I uninstalled C2R and reinstalled MSI and it is trying to change again to C2R.

How can I prevent this please?

Currently I am in Italy, normally I am in the UK.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For business | Windows

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ryan-N 16,085 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T17:47:26.5333333+00:00

    Hi Peter,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    Based on the documentation I found, Office 2019 Volume License versions have transitioned from MSI installation technology to Click-to-Run. At the same time, the deployment and configuration of Office 2019 are primarily performed using the Office Deployment Tool.

    You can refer to the following documentation for more details:

    Overview of Office 2019 (for IT Pros) - Office | Microsoft Learn

    User's image

    Therefore, in this case, I recommend using the official Click-to-Run version rather than trying to continue using the MSI version.

     I hope this information is helpful.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.

    I look forward to continuing the conversation.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.