I was using azure student

Aaryan Saroha 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T13:41:01.13+00:00

I was using azure student and I used it fully but today I was upgrading it and when I added my Visa card and I added card info and entered the otp then showed liek payment declined and like some prepaid msg. But the card is fully working fro all international payments and all, and also I got msg from teh bank like plan started wtf. and like with autopay limit 20000 inr, wtf is tis azure please tell any solution I am from India

Cost Management
Cost Management

A Microsoft offering that enables tracking of cloud usage and expenditures for Azure and other cloud providers.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-27T18:03:00.7933333+00:00

    Hey there, Aaryan Saroha

    When you add a payment method to Azure, Microsoft may perform a temporary verification transaction (often £0.00 or an equivalent amount in your local currency) to validate the payment method. In some cases, your bank may flag this verification attempt as suspicious and require confirmation through your banking app. If the verification transaction is declined or blocked, Azure may be unable to validate the payment method, resulting in an error when attempting to upgrade the subscription.

    However, looking at what you have posted, it sounds like the card completed the OTP verification and your bank may have authorised the validation attempt. However, Azure is still reporting that the payment was declined or that the card is being treated as a prepaid card. Please note, prepaid cards are not supported payment types on Azure for subscriptions. You can learn more valid payment methods here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cost-management-billing/manage/supported-payment-methods

    What I would recommend doing is signing into the payment methods page on the Cost Management & Billing blade here: https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_Azure_GTM/ModernBillingMenuBlade/~/Payment

    Please can you add your new payment method to that page by clicking onto "Add payment method"

    User's image

    Once you have added a new payment method, please go back to the subscription page in the Cost Management & Billing blade here: https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_Azure_GTM/ModernBillingMenuBlade/~/Subscriptions

    Then click onto the Azure Student subscription and upgrade the subscription. It should allow you to do this as you will have payment information stored on your account.

    If the issue persists, please let me know the exact error message you're seeing, as that may help identify whether the problem is related to payment verification or another billing restriction.

    Hope this information helps,
    Nathan

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.