Outlook 2024 (POP/PST): Search does not index HTML email bodies (IFilter issue)

bernard Andri 0 Reputation points
2026-09-06T21:08:03.09+00:00

Hello,

I am facing a persistent search issue in Outlook 2024 (using POP accounts with .pst data files). The search function only returns results if the keyword appears in the Subject line or in the name of an attachment. Words inside the email body are ignored, unless the message is formatted as Plain Text (HTML-formatted bodies are not indexed).

Here is what I have already checked and tested:

  1. Indexing Status: Windows Search indexing completed successfully, and Outlook reports 0 items remaining to be indexed.
  2. Indexing Locations & File Types:
    • Microsoft Outlook is correctly listed under Included Locations.
      • Under Advanced Options > File Types, .pst is set to "Index Properties and File Contents".
        • Observation: In Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types, the .pst extension shows "Plain Text Filter", whereas .msg shows "Office Outlook MSG IFilter".
        1. Registry Tweaks: I spent significant time attempting registry modifications to force Windows Search to use the correct IFilter for HTML parsing inside PST files, but without success.
        2. Safe Mode: Search works as expected when running Outlook in Safe Mode (since Outlook falls back to its built-in legacy search engine), but it is naturally very slow as it rescans on every query.
        3. New Profile & Clean PST: I created a fresh Outlook profile with a minimal PST file containing only a few test messages. The problem persists even on a clean setup.

 

It appears Windows Search is failing to load or assign the proper IFilter to handle HTML-formatted message bodies inside PST containers in Outlook 2024. Any insights or registry/DLL fixes to restore proper HTML body indexing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Marek Majewski 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T13:20:12.04+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.

    The issue has already been submitted to both Microsoft Support and Feedback Hub.

    Based on the troubleshooting performed so far, the problem appears to be more complex than a standard Outlook search or indexing issue. The HTML message body is available through MAPI, but it is not being added to System.Search.Contents when indexed through the MAPI16 Search Protocol Handler.

    I am still waiting for a response from Microsoft Support, although at this point I am not particularly optimistic that I will receive a technical answer or a concrete solution. If I do receive any useful findings, workaround, or confirmation of the issue, I will update this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Bruce Hsueh 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T03:54:48.3033333+00:00

    I'm facing the same issue.

    I have several PST files, each around 50 GB. They worked fine on my old Dell Inspiron 14 (11th Gen Intel CPU) with Microsoft 365. I could search the email content normally, including the message body.

    However, after transferring the same PST files to a new Acer laptop with an Intel Core Ultra 7 processor and Microsoft 365, Outlook can no longer search the email body/content properly. It can find emails based on the subject and sender, but the content within the emails cannot be found.

    This is really frustrating and is causing significant problems in my daily work, especially because I have a large number of historical emails that I need to search.

    For now, the only workaround I have found is to use email archiving software to search the email content instead of Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Hornblower409 15,950 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T18:50:18.31+00:00

    @PBer said

    Plain text emails are searcheable, not the body of HTML emails. Safe mode works fine.

    Does your search also work correctly if you disable Windows Search and use the native (slow) Outlook search?

    • File -> Options -> Search -> Indexing Options ...
    • On the "Indexing Options" dialog: [Modify]
    • On the "Indexed Locations" dialog: Uncheck "Microsoft Outlook"
    • [OK], [Close] your way out.
    • Restart Outlook.
    • Do a Search Test
    • Re-enable Windows Search

    If using native Outlook Search works OK, you can try the Windows Search Troubleshooter "Virtual Agent" at
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/shell-experience/fix-problems-in-windows-search

    If that doesn't help, you will need to bring in Microsoft Support:

    Qualified MS 365 Subscriptions only
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/get-help-support

    Classic Outlook In-App Support
    Help -> Contact Support

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. PBer 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T18:39:00.2+00:00

    I have been having the exact same issue with a 1Mb pst file. Plain text emails are searcheable, not the body of HTML emails. Safe mode works fine.

    Like this for at least a week.

    Office 2024 LTSC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.