My last name was updated on my work email. Now i cannot log into my laptop.

Anamaria Solis 0 Reputation points
2025-09-15T18:25:15.7233333+00:00

my work email address was updated with my new last name. i was able to log in into my computer when it was updated Last week, however now i cannot sign into my computer with my current password. I haven't changed my log in credentials for my laptop.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anastasiya Kislach 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T19:22:14.45+00:00

    Hi @Chris Duong ,

    I have the same issue but my email domain has changed. And I can’t log in to my laptop now.

    I tried the first one option. It didn’t work.

    Tried restarting the computer, didn’t help also.

    Tried different sign-in options - no result.

    How could I fix it?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Chris Duong 10,705 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-09-18T20:07:33.5066667+00:00

    Hi @Anamaria Solis,   

    I hope you're having a good day so far. 

    I'm reaching out again to follow up on your issue and check if everything has been resolved. My goal is to ensure your experience remains smooth and hassle-free. If you're still encountering any problems or have run into new challenges, please let me know which steps you're currently stuck on and happy to provide further help whenever you need it.  

    If you have any further questions, feel free to tag me in your reply so I can assist you directly. 

    Looking forward to your update. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Chris Duong 10,705 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-09-17T18:44:49.15+00:00

    Hi @Anamaria Solis,  

    Hope things are running smoothly on your end. 

    Following up on the support thread we've been working on. I hope the information I shared in my previous answer resolve the issue you were facing. If you are still facing the same issue or need assistance with anything else, kindly respond to this email, and I will be happy to help. 

    We want to make sure everything is working as expected and that your experience remains uninterrupted. 

    Thank you for your patience and understanding throughout the troubleshooting process.  

    I look forward to hearing from you soon. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Chris Duong 10,705 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-09-15T20:09:34.5933333+00:00

    Hi @Anamaria Solis, 

    Good day to you! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum. 

    Thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that you're currently unable to sign in to your computer following the recent update to your work email address. I understand how disruptive this can be, and I’m here to help. 

    To assist you further, could you please provide the following information: 

    1. Is this a personal account (e.g., @hotmail.com, @outlook.com) or a business/work account (e.g., through Microsoft 365 or your organization's domain)? The interface differs between these two types of accounts, so knowing this information will help me support you more effectively.  
    2. If it's a business/work account, are you IT administrator of your organization/ school or an end-user?   
    3. What type of Microsoft license are you currently using (e.g., Microsoft 365 Personal, Business Standard, E3, etc.)? 
    4. The exact error message you receive when attempting to sign in (A screenshot of the issue, if possible - this will help us diagnose the problem more accurately) 
    5. Whether you’re able to access your account via web browser (e.g., signing in at https://portal.office.com) 

    Once we have this information, we’ll be better positioned to guide you through the next steps. Please feel free to add any additional information you deem as necessary. 

    In the meantime, here are a few steps you can try as a workaround: 

    1. Try logging in with your old email address (if still cached on the device) using your usual password. 
    2. Use your new email address but try both: 
      • Your current password 
      • Your previous password (in case the sync hasn’t completed) 
    3. Log in with your username instead of your email address, if known (e.g., DOMAIN\username). 
    4. Connect to the internet using a wired connection or known Wi-Fi to ensure your device can reach the domain controller or Azure AD. 
    5. Restart your device and try again, sometimes a reboot can reinitialize cached credentials. 
    6. If you're using a Windows Hello PIN, try switching to password login by selecting “Sign-in options” on the login screen. 

    I hope this information is helpful. Please follow these steps and let me know if it works for you. If not, we can work together to resolve this.  

    Thank you for your patience and your understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.  

    I'm looking forward to your reply.  


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable email notifications in case you would like to receive notifications about this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.