ExpressRoute: Safe removal of legacy circuit and failed connection — impact on virtual network operations

crgit 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T12:50:16.32+00:00

Problem description

I am seeking assistance on how to safely remove a legacy ExpressRoute circuit and a failed connection that are still present in Azure, despite the production traffic having been migrated to a separate active ExpressRoute circuit. My goal is to delete the legacy circuit and failed connection without disrupting the active production path.

Environment

The affected environment includes a legacy ExpressRoute circuit with a failed connection, a separate active production ExpressRoute circuit, a virtual network gateway, and a virtual network. The region is not specified in the case information.

What I've already tried

I contact Service provider to deprovisioned Express Route and still unable to remove Express Route circuit (and also its connection to Virtual Network Gateway). In published guidance, it informed that we should unlinking virtual networks first, but error said that unlinking is not possible if gateway is still enabled. so I'm question that does it mean I have to destroy current Virtual Network Gateway? because I didn't see how to temporary disabled Virtual Network Gateway that currently linked to our production Virtual Network

Azure ExpressRoute
Azure ExpressRoute

An Azure service that provides private connections between Azure datacenters and infrastructure, either on premises or in a colocation environment.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.