Azure Database for PostgreSQL: Read replica restarted unexpectedly — no customer-initiated operation

VinceR-2832 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T19:51:56.28+00:00

Problem description

I am concerned about the unexpected restarts of my Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server read replica that occurred twice on September 30, 2026, between 09:33 and 09:47 UTC, without any action from my team. After these restarts, the replica briefly refused connections, and no explicit error messages were captured. I am seeking to understand the cause of these restarts and whether similar events might happen again.

Environment

Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server in East US 2, affected component: read replica, environment details such as region, PostgreSQL version, compute tier, storage configuration, networking mode, and high availability configuration are not specified in the case information.

What I've already tried

I have verified that no one on my team initiated a restart, scale operation, or configuration change during the incident window. I reviewed the Azure Activity Log for relevant events and checked Resource Health, which showed the servers as available throughout. I examined the 'is_db_alive' metric, which dropped to zero during the connection refusal period. I also referred to self-help guidance, which explains brief connection refusals after restarts but does not identify the cause of the restarts or predict recurrence.

I've tried opening a Support Case but apparently I need to post this to a public forum before Microsoft Support will take action.

Current status

I am looking for an explanation of what caused the two unexpected restarts of the read replica on September 30, 2026, and whether I should expect similar events in the future. Any insights or additional diagnostics that can help determine the root cause would be appreciated.

Azure Database for PostgreSQL

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.