Release the default hostname of my deleted AppService so I can reclaim it

David Covey 10 Reputation points
2026-09-29T16:04:11.8466667+00:00

How can I get Azure to release the default hostname of my deleted AppService so I can reclaim it.

I deleted the App Service for my previous web site, but the DNS binding is still reserved. I need the name freed so I can recreate the App Service with the same hostname.

Azure App Service
Azure App Service

Azure App Service is a service used to create and deploy scalable, mission-critical web apps.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Salamat Shah 750 Reputation points MVP
    2026-09-29T17:14:21.31+00:00

    After deleting an Azure App Service, the default azurewebsites.net hostname may remain temporarily reserved and cannot always be reclaimed immediately.

    Recommended steps:

    • Confirm the App Service and associated deployment slot are fully deleted.
    • Allow some time for the hostname reservation to be released.
    • If the name remains unavailable, open an Azure Support request and provide the deleted App Service name, subscription ID, and resource group.

    Microsoft Support can verify whether the hostname is still held by a backend reservation and whether it can be released.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.