Microsoft Defender for Cloud: Azure Resource Graph Not Returning VM Vulnerability Assessment Coverage

Joshua Li 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T20:56:23.74+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing an issue where Azure Resource Graph is not returning the vulnerability coverage assessment for my virtual machines in Microsoft Defender for Cloud. Specifically, when querying for the assessment by its ID, no results are returned, even though other assessments are visible in Resource Graph.

Environment

Microsoft Defender for Cloud assessment data queried through Azure Resource Graph for one Azure subscription; no specific subscription name, resource group, VM name, or region provided.

What I've already tried

I used the following query to look for the assessment:

securityresources
| where type =~ 'microsoft.security/assessments'
| where name =~ '{assessment-id}'

This query returned no rows. I also ran a broader query:

microsoft.security/assessments

which returned other Defender for Cloud assessments, confirming that assessment data exists in Resource Graph generally.

Current status

The issue persists: the specific VM vulnerability coverage assessment is missing from Resource Graph, while other assessments are present. I am seeking guidance on potential causes and steps to resolve or troubleshoot further.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Defender | Microsoft Defender for Cloud

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.