An Azure managed PostgreSQL database service for app development and deployment.
Azure PostgreSQL FlexibleServer is stuck for days now after trying to scale up and cannot be recovered.
We created an Azure Database PostgreSQL Flexible Server and started with a burstable tier first to setup everything and do some tests before we decide to go live with the new features on production. Few days before going live we decided to scale up from Burstable tier (B1) to General Purpose. The deployment (scale-up) operation got stuck. After 2h nothing changed, so we already had an issue with the whole production delivery plan. After another few hours (I think around 6h) we tried to cancel the deployment and it got cancelled, but the PostgreSQL FlexibleServer is still stuck. We cannot do anything with it - we get a message that it is in 'Updating' state. Right now the production delivery has been postponed by a few weeks because of this issue.
The only thing we can do is Restore it to a new server, which we did just to avoid recreating everything from scratch. However, we cannot recover it at the same place, because we cannot delete the one that is stuck. In theory the delete button is active, but private endpoint has to be removed first and we cannot do it when the server is in 'Updating' state.
We have searched on the web and found plenty of similar issues on this platform, so it seems like an often situation. That's quite strange to be honest and we are really worried if we can use Azure PostgreSQL FlexibleServer on production if it's so unreliable.
We tried already all of the recommendations from other threads, we haven't found any locks, we cannot stop or start the service while it's in 'Updating' state, we cannot delete it.
- Can you please fix the service, unlock it or whatever is needed to make it work or just remove it so that we can create a new one?
- Can you have a closer look at the PostgreSQL FlexibleServer deployment please? Having in mind the amount of issues people are having with it, I would suggest searching for the root cause and fixing it if you don't want people quitting to other cloud providers. It should be a simple operation to a scale it up - we were scaling up Virtual Machines and Azure SQL Databases or Azure SQL Elastic Pools hundreds of times in the past and hardly ever had any issues, but most of all they were always recoverable.
- Aside question: why do I need to agree on receiving tips and offers from Microsoft just to post a technical question or issue? I upgraded Support plan to a paid one to create a technical ticket on Azure, but then I heard I should upgrade higher to Standard or post this message. It's been over 24h since I created a ticket on Azure Support and I haven't received any answer. That's why I'm creating this question.
Azure Database for PostgreSQL
1 answer
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
1 deleted comment
Comments have been turned off. Learn more