Autoscale Oscillation and Settings Update Failure on AppServiceMQTTFunctions — Persistent Scaling Issues

Tim-6796 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T14:27:15.04+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing persistent issues with autoscale settings on my Azure App Service plan. After planned maintenance, the plan began scaling in and out much more frequently than usual, oscillating roughly every 30 minutes, resulting in about 50 scale actions per day. Additionally, attempts to change autoscale settings via the Azure portal fail with an error message when saving changes.

Environment

Azure Autoscale configured for an App Service plan in the Azure portal; workload appears to be an Azure Functions app or similar app hosted on that plan; autoscale settings managed from the plan’s Scale out (App Service plan) experience; specific region, SKU/tier, autoscale rule set, or metric configuration not specified.

What I've already tried

I have reviewed the Azure Activity Log for autoscale events and failure messages, checked autoscale behavior and metrics such as observed metric values, thresholds, capacity, and scale actions. I also attempted manual scale changes, switching to manual mode and saving a small instance count change, but received an 'Unexpected error' message. I examined autoscale rules for overlapping or opposing configurations and verified that storage quota exceeded messages are not present. No prior case history or support back-and-forth was documented in the support case.

Current status

The plan continues to scale frequently and autoscale changes cannot be saved in the portal due to errors. I seek guidance on resolving the autoscale oscillation and the save failure to stabilize scaling behavior.

A note from me (the human and not the AI slop above): Its complete BS to pay $30 a month for support just so I can post in a forum.

Azure App Service
Azure App Service

Azure App Service is a service used to create and deploy scalable, mission-critical web apps.


1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Tim A. Smith 46 Reputation points
    2026-09-28T13:30:46.41+00:00

    @Santhi Siruvuri Any updates? Its gotten slightly better since the maintenance ended, but it is still scaling multiple times a day. Prior to the maintenance, it only scaled once a day (when my reports process ran).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.