Custom template-parameters-definition.json - what does the default file content look like?

Victor Seifert 161 Reputation points
2022-12-29T12:45:23.657+00:00

I want to use a custom template-parameters-definition.json file, since the default does not parameterize the parameters of a LinkedService. Since I only want to extend this bit, I wanted to just use the default file and adapt it a little bit, but I can only find other adapted examples of the file, not the "default content".

So here is the question: Is there any web resource showing the "original" file contents, so that the TemplateParametersForWorkspace.json file gets created exactly like the default configuration (as if I wasnt using a custom template-parameters-definition.json file)?

This would allow me to adapt it as I need it.

My problem is that when I write it myself, the keys change between the previous creations and the new creations with my custom file: I e.g. want to keep the parameters in trigger/properties/pipelines/parameters (as it is the case by default without the custom file), but with the following content in my custom file, the names are suddenly different than they were before when I did not have a custom file.

E.g., my current contents:

{"Microsoft.Synapse/workspaces/triggers": {  
        "properties": {  
            "pipelines": [  
                {  
                    "parameters":  {  
                        "*": "="  
                    }  
                }  
            ]  
        }  
    }  
}  

With the default configuration I had a trigger parameter on a pipeline under the following name in the TemplateParametersForWorkspace.json:

MyTriggerName_properties_MyPipelineName_parameters_ParameterName

The same parameter with my custom template-parameters-definition.json file now shows up in the TemplateParametersForWorkspace.json file with a new name:

MyTriggerName_properties_0_parameters_ParameterName

which means we would have to rename all of our parameters keys in the CI/CD pipeline. Same goes for pipelines and anywhere else when there are arrays. Instead of the actual name, I get numbers...

I just realized that there is a default for DataFactory, but not for Synapse :/

Synapse article (without default template): https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/synapse-analytics/cicd/continuous-integration-delivery#create-custom-parameters-in-the-workspace-template

DataFactory (with default template): https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/continuous-integration-delivery-resource-manager-custom-parameters#default-parameterization-template

Azure Synapse Analytics
Azure Synapse Analytics

An Azure analytics service that brings together data integration, enterprise data warehousing, and big data analytics. Previously known as Azure SQL Data Warehouse.


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.